- Practice Areas
Samuel F. Abernethy
Samuel F. Abernethy represents companies and individuals in the commercial arena, with a concentration in commodities, derivatives, and securities matters. He is a graduate of Princeton University and Fordham Law School, and was general counsel of the Comex and later the Coffee, Sugar & Cocoa Exchange. He is a past chairman of the Business Law Section and a former Chairman of the Derivatives & Structured Products Law Committee of the New York State Bar Association (“NYSBA”). Sam is a member of the NYSBA’s Executive Committee, and its House of Delegates, and also a member of the NYSBA Business Law Section Executive Committee, NYSBA’s Membership Committee, and Committee on Diversity in the Law. He is also a member of the Committee on Futures Law of the New York City Bar Association and the American Bar Association Committee of Futures Law.
Sam’s practice includes litigation and arbitration, regulatory matters (including SRO and agency investigations, disciplinary matters, and registrations), transactional work and general corporate, mergers and acquisitions, and private placements. He has also served as an arbitrator and expert in commodities and derivatives-related disputes. Sam began his legal career with Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle. Before becoming a lawyer, he was a high school teacher and worked in the publishing industry. Sam is currently a board member and the Second Vice-President of the Saint Andrew’s Society of the State of New York.
Peer Review Rating: AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
Professional & Community Involvement:
- Member, New York State Bar Association’s Youth Outreach Committee.
- Member, New York State Bar Association’s Diversity and Leadership Development Committee.
- Member, New York City Committee of the Law Firm Access to Justice Campaign Committee of Legal Services of the Hudson Valley, Inc.
Representative Speaking Engagements:
- Participated in a “Hot Topics” panel in a program on Exchange-Traded and Over-The-Counter Derivatives, organized by the New York City Bar Association Futures Regulation Committee.
- Was a panelist on a program entitled “Professionalism: A Practitioner’s Roundtable” organized by the New York State Bar Association Committee on Attorney Professionalism.
- Participated at the New York State Bar Association Section Leaders Conference on a panel concerning membership development and retention.